Tuesday, August 18, 2009

struggling with promises...

I guess that it must be
a part of the human experience
to want to do better,
to want to be better people.

Sometimes we are hardest with ourselves.
This poem speaks to that battle within.
Yet when we turn it over to God
we realize that the only battle
was with ourselves.

God was always there
just "waiting for the smallest invitation",
never judging,
and always seeing the beauty
which we truly are.




promise
Robert Montgomery


Promises I make
promises I break
in these early hours.
My breath tight
the guilt of failure
rising within me.

Why can't I be strong?
Why am I not better?
Why always the promise?
How many mornings
must I rise to the chaos
of my own mind?

Gentle companion,
teacher, friend...
walk with me
show me
the forgiveness
within my self.

Remind me
of laughter
and the song of life.
Let is rise
ringing within me
heralding the day.

I so long
for the comfort
of your loving arms.
My heart cries out
for understanding.
It aches for peace
and the solitude
of acceptance.

Around me now
the angels flock
and the beat of their wings
blows away all guilt,
blows away all failure,
blows away
my self-imposed pain.

The inner smile
spreads through me now
warming with the fire.
I am forged anew.
The promise kept is His!
I am and will always be
welcome.

I am and will always be
a part of this glorious chorus.
My voice raised high
dancing to the heavens...
my only promise
that I will remember
the way back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment